View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 09:46 PM   #1
Aceconklin

Default [Rules] Can you trade an item to another player for nothing in return?

Just trying to clear up some rule lawyering within my play group. They believe the only time you can trade to another player is when it is item for item, item for bribe, but not item for nothing.

In the munchkin rules PDF it says this below:

"You may sell Items for a level, trade Items with other players, or give an Item to another player who wants it (see below)."

To me "or give an item to another player who wants it" is very clear, item for nothing, full stop.

The "(see below)" is referring to this other part of the rules pertaining to trading below:

"Trading: You may trade Items (but no other cards) with other players. You may only trade Items from the table – not from your hand. You may trade at any time except when you or your trading partner are in combat – in fact, the best time to trade is when it’s not your turn. Any Item you receive in a trade must remain in play.You may also give Items away without a trade, to bribe other players – “I’ll give you my Flaming Armor if you won’t help Bob fight that dragon!”"

PDF Link: https://munchkin.game/site-munchkin/...in_rules-1.pdf

Because there is nowhere specifically stating you may trade an item for nothing and that it does say "You may also give Items away without a trade, to bribe other players" that it must be done with a bribe or with an item for item trade.

So can you or can't you trade an item to another player for absolutely nothing in return? If an official answer from the developer/creator/rules/etc could be linked so we could put this issue to rest it would be greatly appreciated!
Aceconklin is offline   Reply With Quote