View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 02:06 AM   #5
Icelander

Default Re: [RPM] Thresholds and Wards (Safe as Houses, Pyramid 3-58)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Why not just add Bestows a Penalty?
I suppose I could, but I want thresholds to be powerful enough to make any being capable of violating one to harm a mortal with supernatural means stand out as clearly of demigod status.

Bestow a Penalty could be used for actual wards made by powerful practisioners, to increase the penalty even further. But anyone with a basic understanding of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
As for the tools you could simply offer a cost discount based on limited Accessability.
I could. Perhaps a -80% discount would do it.

I want to reflect the fact that inside their thresholds, wizards might have magical tools for comparatively trivial tasks, but outside it, only very powerful ones can make any tools that last. The difference in power available is at least one order of magnitude, mostly in that within a threshold, items can last months or years even if made by a fairly modest practisioner, but outside it, only puissant wizards can create anything which lasts beyond a few days.

Metaphysically, dawn 'resets' all magical effects that aren't protected by a threshold or a mobile deriative of it that is anchored in a physical object (which is what real magical items use).

I'll say that any ritual with a duration that lasts longer than the next dawn adds one Greater effect. More than a month adds another Greater effect and more than a year still another. This does not apply within a wizard's own threshold or any area with a threshold (or similar aura of power) which the wizard has attuned with.

Wizards can learn Craft Secret Perks to make magical charms and items that allow them to anchor their rituals to such objects and avoid some of the added cost of long-duration rituals. I'll probably allow some common rituals to be anchored on objects without a Perk as part of basic thaumaturgical knowledge.