View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #10
dwalend

Default Re: Time for my 360 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
This is a perfect example of what is valuable to me.
I want to echo GP's desire for new material, but with a more hopeful tone.

Drew, you've done an excellent job as line editor, fully reviving a somewhat dormant game. With _Ogre Miniatures_ you've just about hit the end of published material. The only interesting pieces left (for me) are the G3 and S3 maps. I think it makes sense to finish (or almost finish) that effort before taking on new material projects.

The only real bust has been Ogre on Steam. The project had a rough launch and has really struggled. I'm not sure how much of that is your dirty baby vs. others at corporate.

The plastic minis I think are a big enough deal to count as new product. The cost difference between metal and plastic, plus them coming in colors - so don't have to be painted - is clearly a hit with the old fan base and has drawn in some new players. The next steps (keeping Set 1 in stock while kickstarting new sets) are pretty clear and give us fans a steady diet of new product for a year or two.

The experimental map mat especially brings me hope as SJGames tries new things.

That said, SJGames is reaching the bottom of the well of old material. It's time to start pondering new things, to grow the game. Some of those will need Steve's deep attention, which means starting something small now (scale of an Assault Pack even if they aren't the thing) and starting something big (scale of the Pacific Theatre) soon so it can take all the time it needs.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote