View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #163
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Official Rules Update and FAQ (Draft versions 1.01 - June 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzmcgwire View Post
A couple of things to ponder with all the new additions in ODE.

Now that there are rules for reloading Ogre external missiles, should there be a different notation for fired external missiles vs. destroyed external missiles?

Easy enough to put a house rule in, but should it be explicitly written out in the rulebook?

In a campaign type scenarios, shooting at empty missile tubes might be worth doing to further hamper an enemy Ogre? If so what would be the defense factor for an empty external missile tube?

Secondly with the advent of record sheets for superheavy tanks and other specialized units with 1 shot special firing capabilities and other capabilities (here's looking at you Marine Engineers) , is it time to add unique identifiers (i.e. a number like 101) to counters in a future printing?

How do folks distinguish superheavy tanks and other units now?
Good question! Vulcans have been around for a few years...denoting 'Fired' vs 'Destroyed' has always been left up to the individual groups of players to decide what their standard is rather than writing some sort of official rules. I haven't been put in that position yet [no Vulcans :( ], but would personally put an X or a / (depending on how fine the tip of the marker is) in boxes to denote 'Fired', and filling in the box to denote 'Destroyed'...so that it's easy enough to change the mark from one to the other with no ambiguity over which is which. Another thing that keeps ambiguity down and makes the bookkeeping easier...cross off Fired from left to right, and Destroyed from right to left [unless the opponent specifically targets an empty tube], that way you can tell at a glance how many of each [plus how many intact] there are.

For tracking specific units I was lucky enough to get my hands on the Black Rose counter set from ODE, all of which have a name. In situations where I absolutely have to be able to tell them apart [such as fielding a swarm of superheavies with partial damage rules], I'll use those counters to remove ambiguity.

Since that's not an option for everybody, and if I ever end up in a situation where both sides have a swarm like that...I'd get a bunch of sharpies or highlighters in different colors, and color in the edges of the counters. That way on the partial damage sheets I could write "Red", "Blue", "Green", etc. Also prevents the headaches of having to write on already-tight counters, or the potential that the writing [or daub of paint, or whatever] would wear off over time.

HWTs have a 'fired' status on the reverse. Can't swap them straight-up for a 1/1 infantry counter because of tracking VP of units destroyed, but it's easy enough to put the HWT Fired counter under an Infantry counter to note which one it's moving with.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote