View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 08:56 AM   #42
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Improving the Tonfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazander View Post
I honestly think what you are describing comes under GURPS resolution as the Weapon Master advantage. The video you linked to gives evidence to this (IMO). It's the difference between someone who is merely skilled (i.e. trained with a light club), vs someone who has the benefit of generations of skilled knowledge passed down in how to generate real power with a light weapon (relative to other battlefield weapons). WM would give a ST 10 user +2 to both swing and thrust, which is enough to bring the damage up to the level you are looking for.

Note that this doesn't mean every real life trained practitioner of the tonfa/tonkwa is a "Weapon Master", it means only that this is how the GURPS game handles this kind of difference.
Weapon Master is not a realistic trait. It does not represent real martial artists, even real martial arts masters.

Personally, I'd just put it to 'martial artists are strong', and the fact that people aren't actually that hard to break. +2 ST over Gollum's expectation explains the results just as well as tonfas actually being way more awesome than other virtually-identical sticks.