View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #20
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: High TL 9 vs TL2+RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Personally, I assume the system is scaled for a typical adventuring party (4-6 people), and do it in multiples of 5. My own diminishing returns also aren't as harsh - each time the amount of energy per person is cut in half, the number of people who can be involved at that step doubles (so each step can contribute equal amounts of energy). In this case, that would mean 15 energy for the first 5 guys, 15 for the next 10, 15 for the next 20, and so forth (although I follow SSR, so doubling 20 results in 50, not 40). 1000 would be 5+10+20+50+100+200+500+115 people, or 15+15+15+15+15+15+15+(115*15/1000=1.75), or 106.75 (107 if I'm feeling generous). A hefty spell, but nothing like the 3,000 energy noted upthread.
That may be a better scaling rate, I have to admit. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
One of the major things you need to address if your not going for a scenario like my own (IE- their reasons for needing a planet are entirely self-imposed) is why they are bothering with a populated system.

So I think you need to spend some time really pondering the 'why bother with the inhabited worlds, and why not just view the habited world as a 'pit stop', or why not just colonize the planetoids that the mage society won't touch (due to toxic or no atmosphere)
The word 'generation ship' is being throw around: I'm not so sure that its an applicable term. Generation ships are generally self sustaining, but the description of these ships matches a long range colony ship, not a generation ship. They didn't have the resources to send only their self-sustaining elements, and probably can't keep up their full tech base.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote