View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
Onkl

Default Re: Endzeit - Community Resource Management in an RPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorkamorka View Post
Have a look at Apocalypse World by D. Vincent Baker. It's a good system built to run Apocalyptic games. But even if you have no interest in the system then it has great advise on how to capture the feel of post apocalypse in games.
Thanks, I bought the PDF and am waiting for the author to send it to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorkamorka View Post
EDIT: About running it in GURPS. GURPS is a great system for games that are built as small unit tactical missions. Or overtly political games. I'm not sure it's a good system for Resource Management or running a town. But having said that I can't think of a system that has that built in. I think even Apocalypse world mentioned above just has a "things are getting worse" meter but no hard numbers.
I'm not a systems geek. Next to GURPS I only played AD&D. Recently I had a look at Pathfinder and bought Death Watch (WH40k).

So, the only system I know and could use for a post-apocalyptic game is GURPS. As far as I know, there is no GURPS supplement for resource management or running a town.
That said, I think I was not able to make my point clearly in enough in my original post.

I want the resource management and town building aspect to be an important part of the game, but a part that takes place mostly between gaming session. When we actually sit down together at the table, I want to run a "normal" RPG game where the players get confronted by a problem that arose from the decisions the players made at the end of the last session regarding resources and town management, eg. At the end of the last session the group decided to build a new well and lay pipes to irrigate more farming land. So now the adventure could be, that the surplus food attracted more immigrants and the town now needs building material. So the mission for the players would be to get those building materials and construct new housing for the citizens... or, if I want to give them a social challenge and political role-play, they would have to convince the natives that the town needs to grow and that they should help the new arrivals get settled...

That said, after having a look at the traveller supplement I think I can modify the system presented there to help me guide the players through the town building effort.

It's still a vague concept and I already once failed in GMing a setting like the one I described. But that was owed due to the fact I wanted to do to much in the first GURPS game I GMed after a long absence.
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote