View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #26
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Rescaled Melee Damage and Couched Lances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
A character should have a similar limit while on foot, except then he can't brace using his legs. This does introduce a problem, however - if we use the TG chart, that means a character using a one-handed weapon would have his armed slam limited to 0.5xST, which is half what he'd get by just thrusting.

Reconsidering things a bit, an armed slam on foot should have a damage cap that is greater than thrusting. Properly bracing for impact would mean you're bracing the weapon against your torso (all-out/committed attack) and bracing your foot against the ground at the moment of impact. One hand is normally 0.5xST, but we know for one-handed weapons this should really be 1xST for striking purposes. Your foot isn't going to be properly grappling, but it's still got some good Basic Lift to go off of; we'll say halve its BL, meaning you're dealing with a cap of 1.3xST (before bonuses). Two handed should be around 1.5xST for the arm part, so a total of 1.7xST probably isn't too far off. Considering that for a lance, where you can properly grapple using your legs (for 1.5xST), you're looking at a cap of around 2xST instead. If you can somehow manage using both arms, 2.5xST is your cap instead.
Seems low. It would mean, e.g., that a 10-ton ship ramming another ship at Mach 3 with some sort of striker will only do about 31d to 39d of damage (+1/die for a striker).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Of course, there's also the question of if charging on foot would actually result in more damage. Thinking further, I'm fairly confident I'd do more damage punching somebody than running into them at top speed with my fist. I honestly don't think the small amount of additional momentum I'd get from running while punching is going to make much of a difference (in fact, the inability to use my hip muscles to improve the punch, as well as the general instability I'd be dealing with, would probably make the punch weaker). So, I'll stand by my original calculations (although I still think they're a bit too high) and call what I posted here highly cinematic.
That's because your slam damage is something like (5×10/100) = ½ of a die, and your thrust is 1d-2 or more. But if your slam damage were e.g. 2 dice, that would be different.