View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 05:48 AM   #19
Phil Masters

Default Re: [DF] Cleric Spell Lists - Where at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I figured as much. It's decent... my only "issue"* is how many overlapping spell choices there were... and how many have broadened/shortened spell lists**.
You're looking for deep and measured significance where it doesn't exist. I eyeballed this stuff. Kromm then passed it, so either he's happy with that approach, or I have supernaturally good eyeballs.

(And believe me, only one of my eyeballs is even mediocre.)

Quote:
For instance City with Tell Time and Strike Barren. I can see uses for them... but they are a lot more niche in a standard DF game than say... Fireball. Again, I suspect this is on purpose (also they have more use in a "City" based game, which would fit the theme of the list).
You're looking at this the wrong way round. I put spells on those lists because I thought that they more or less fitted the clerics in question's theme, then went over them asking myself "Is this list sufficiently adequately useful for a Dungeon Fantasy character?" and tweaked things accordingly.

I didn't excise stuff that was appropriate but largely useless, because I care about flavour and style much, much more than I give a wet slap about pointless numerical symmetry. The only real "balancing" effect that I had in mind was the realisation that clerics who got to chuck fire or lightning around would be a bit too popular with the munchkins and would intrude on the wizards' niche protection, so I cut back on their classic heals-and-buffs resources, with the general intent of making them less useful as "classic clerics".

Quote:
Oh. Since Phil is here...

Is it okay if I post the raw numbers in here when I'm done with Phase 1b?
If you're asking about copyright concerns, that's a question for SJGames, not for me. I just do work for hire.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote