View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
Varyon

Default Re: [Powers: Enhanced Senses] Illumination vs the Night Vision Feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That's really not the intent. We just don't have a formal set of rules for how many levels of increased brightness there are above unpenalized vision before you start having penalties again.
I understand that's not the intent, but it does end up being the effect.

Well, going off of this, you typically don't want to go above 2,000 lux unless you're doing detailed work. If we made human comfort range be from 100 to 2,000 lux, with higher light levels causing penalties due to glare and the like unless doing close detail work (where you still may need to position yourself to avoid glare), then things are much less problematic if we retain the same relationship (a character with Night Vision 3 [0] is unpenalized between 5 and 100 lux, and is penalized outside of detail work at higher light levels). Might be a jumping-off point, at least. I suspect it's a bit too narrow - it seems to me that an overcast day is usually good for avoiding vision penalties, while the bit from upthread indicates 2,000 lux is more for a heavily-clouded day (of course, that's for midday, when the sun is at its brightest).