Thread: Powerstones
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #43
hal

Default Re: Powerstones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I'd reply, "That's not what the spell description says. If we have to keep watch, then I am in danger, ergo it applies."

Sorry hal, but IMHO you are reading a restriction/language into the bless spell that simply isn't there. There is nothing in the bless spell that specifices IMMEDIATE danger. That's your invention.

-Polaris
Perhaps you have a valid reason to disagree, but...

The bless affects what...

A roll.

When is the roll made?

At the moment it is required - which, is for one action, one second's worth of action in some cases, or perhaps an action that is quantifiable enough for it to be treated as one roll.

A roll to spot something that is 5 miles away, and will eventually KILL your character in another 3 hours is not what I'd call a moment of danger for which Bless will apply. While it is one roll, its failure does not place your character in immediate (ie right that very moment) danger.

A roll to avert the demon's hand from clutching your throat and killing your character - likely would qualify, especially if it is a crit success for a grapple for your throat made by the demon. THAT would be immediate danger.

Otherwise? Any event can be construed as being "in danger if the failure can be construed as leading up to the final event that will result in the character's death." Thus, noticing the dog that wanders into your household, that will eventually be used to kill your character 3 years hence can be construed as "in danger"?

So, to reiterate our differences - you claim that while in any "dangerous environment", any failed roll will be rectified by the bless spell, and causing the bless spell to expire. In theory then <evil grin>, the loss of the Blessing can be construed as more dangerous than that precise moment, and create a paradox, causing the Bless spell to fail entirely. ;)

My point of view is that the Bless roll only applies to the precise moment in which a roll was made by the opponent (crit success) that is dangerous to your character's life, or your character fails a roll (crit failure) that is dangerous to your character's life. Normal success rolls and/or failure rolls might be negated by the blessing if it falls outside of the modifier granted by the bless itself (ie +1, +2, +3).

I can live with that. If your GM rules his game world in that fashion, I'm not going to argue the point. I am guilty of running my own "variations" of the rules as written, so I can't be one to cast the first stone against your GM ;)

For instance? In my campaign world, the convention regarding the luck skill is thus:

If you take luck, you get three rerolls before your luck runs out and needs to recharge for 1 hour of game table time. Not all three rerolls have to be used for the same thing. For example, you can use your luck at 12:02 PM to dodge an incoming attack, then use your luck reroll at 12:42 for a reaction roll re-roll, then at 2:30 for a gambling re-roll, before the luck needs to recharge for an hour. This is DEFINITELY not rules as written ;)

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote