View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 03:06 PM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Accounting For Race in Mass Combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I would argue that there really shouldn't be a cost difference between a unit of Heavy Infantry that's Poor because it's a poorly-trained and inexperienced band of human militia, and a bunch of reasonably well-disciplined halflings who are just never going to hit as hard as an equal number of humans. What matters is, they will fight at roughly the same level of effectiveness. Why would a commander pay more for the halfling band, just because they're technically more skilled or whatnot? A general who shells out a bunch of cash on halfling Heavy Infantry on the grounds that they're just as well-trained as an equal number of humans would be getting much less effectiveness for their money. Logically, if a unit is less effective in a given role, they're going to have to reduce their asking price, or be pushed out of the market by more-effective units.
Yes, if the commander goes out an hires some heavy infantry from whichever population he wants, he pays market price. That should totally be true for most situations.

That's not the case for this game. This is Banestorm during the Banestorms: populations are being dropped in the middle of a foreign land and having to fend for themselves. So I'm assuming sometimes the best choice IS to build a sheild-wall out of halflings.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote