View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 10:14 PM   #8
tbone

Default Re: A 10-pack of DFRPG questions

Aaaand here I am at it again, with 10 more DFRPG questions.

(Should I use a new thread for each such batch of questions? Savoire-Faire (Forum) mavens, please weigh in!)

1) A non-enchanting deal?

The Magic Weapons and Armor Table on Adventurers 118 says a $2000 Deflect enchantment provides a +1 Defense Bonus, which I understand would aid any defense.

Meanwhile, a $10,000 Defending Weapon/Shield enchantment also gives a +1 bonus, but to Parry or Block alone.

Am I missing something, or is the latter a really bad deal?

2) Going bow-less

I'm designing a smallish creature that throws smallish "javelins" - plain old arrows, in fact. (They're easy for the creatures to come by, and PCs on the receiving end of the attacks get to say "hey, free arrows!")

So what are appropriate stats for a thrown arrow? An arrow is cheaper and lighter than a javelin, dart, or even dagger; maybe thr-2 imp, Acc 1, x0.5/x1, ST 3, Bulk -3?

What do you think?

3) They grow so fast

Not really a question, just an observation: The tomb bug in Monsters 2 plays the ol' xenomorph and/or wasp trick of placing eggs in a host. Always a classic!

But I notice that at Size -1, the erupting hatchlings are each the size of a fair-sized dog, or a 10-year-old, or a gnome . . . and ten of these will burst out of a normal human victim.

Yeah, I know, it's fantasy . . . but just try imagining how those things fit in there. Maybe they, I don't know, burst out at a way smaller size, then instantly expand to SM -1, like those sponge dinosaur toys?

Or maybe the assumption is that the corpse just prior to eruption, now at -5xHP, is hugely, grotesquely bloated/distended?

Okay, pointless ruminations ended. Back to actual questions:

4) Bardic Talent as a prerequisite

Spells p7 says "Bardic Talent (Adventurers, p. 17) replaces Magery. The same level is needed as a prerequisite . . ."

So when I see a spell in an appropriate bardic college listing Magery 1 as a prerequisite, I understand that to mean "Magery 1 or Bardic Talent 1".

Yet some spells specifically note Bardic Talent anyway, like Detect Magic: "Wizardly: Magery 1 or Bardic Talent 1." Why specifically call out the latter for such spells, if Bardic Talent is already explained as a replacement for Magery?

Or in short: How does "Wizardly: Magery 1 or Bardic Talent 1" differ from just "Wizardly: Magery 1"?

(Wait, I think I see the answer now: Spells in appropriate bardic colleges always use the notation "Wizardly: Magery n or Bardic Talent m"; here, mentioning Bardic Talent isn't necessary, but it serves as a helpful reminder. Meanwhile, spells outside bardic colleges only say "Wizardly: Magery n", and it's understood for these that Bardic Talent is not a replacement. Sound right?)

5) Order of boolean operators in prerequisites

Take a prerequisite listing like "Wizardly: Magery 1 or Bardic Talent 1, and Foolishness." Does this mean a) "Wizardly: (Magery 1 or Bardic Talent 1), and Foolishness." or b) "Wizardly: Magery 1 or (Bardic Talent 1, and Foolishness)."?

I think it's a). Right?

6) Plant Control vs animals

The Plant Control spell notes, "Controls the actions of one large plant . . . A key spell for “green druids” – knowing it lets you use Beast Possession, Rider, Rider Within, and similar Animal spells on plant-class monsters!"

How exactly does this work? To cast Beast Possession on a triffid, do I first cast Plant Control at the usual time and cost, then cast Beast Possession at the usual time and cost, and then – if both succeeded – finally start roaming around in my mobile cabbage?

7) Defensive fast-draw

Say a kind-looking traveler suddenly attacks me as I ask him directions to the nearest necromancer lair. I resist surprise, but my sword is sheathed. Can I use Fast Draw to instantly bring the sword to hand and attempt a Parry? (Sounds like an obvious "yes" to me, but in all of GURPS and DFRPG, I don't recall ever seeing a mention of using Fast-Draw to instantly parry, only to instantly attack.)

Also: If I attempt this action but fail the Fast Draw roll, what happens? I assume that it's the same as if I'd failed the actual Parry; I didn't have any other defenses lined up (i.e., I'm not on All-Out Defense (Double Defense)), so I get whacked. Sound right?

8) Eye of death in the side pocket

When I wallop a creature for knockback, do I get to choose the direction in which it flies? Is this addressed anywhere in GURPS/DFRPG?

9) Bad deals, Part II

This one's puzzled me for some time.

Social Stigma (Minority Group) confers -2 on reactions, except among your own group, for -10 points.

Social Stigma (Savage) confers the same, but also -4 on certain skill rolls, and a possibility of being outright barred from town. This is also -10 points.

Shouldn't these carry different point values?

10) Glamour in Nordlondr Folk

This book offers Elven Glamour, which adds +4 to Disguise and Mimicry (Speech). Also: "Anyone observing you gets a Will roll at -5 to pierce the illusion."

How does this work? The target sees through the ruse by winning a contest of Perception or Observation vs the elf's Disguise +4, or a contest of IQ vs the elf's Mimicry +4 . . . but if the target fails that contest, he gets one more chance to pierce the illusion by succeeding at a straight-up Will -5 roll. Do I have that right?

And while we're here, there's the leveled Resistant to Glamour trait (p6), described as offering +5 to resist or see through illusions/glamour. If that's per level, then Resistant to Glamour 3 [3] confers a +15(!) bonus. Do I have that right?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote