View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #48
Stormcrow

Default Re: Changes to Combat Reflexes [Basic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I think that that one in particular is more Danger Sense.
My apologies: I didn't mean to depict it as anticipating the attack beforehand, but rather detecting the start of the attack before anyone else has any clue what's going on. Having Brock and Hunk lead them means they won't freeze and they have an excellent chance of not being mentally stunned. At the first BANG! the two will probably cancel out the surprise of the ambush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I think all of Stromcrow's examples are cinematically over the top and beyond Basic Combat Reflexes' settings.
I made them obviously cinematic to make the point, but I don't see why they aren't accurate depictions of Combat Reflexes. "You have extraordinary reactions," not just "You react quickly."

Brock heard the twig, woke up, could not freeze in surprise, beat the minion in an initiative roll because he had bonuses, made a Fast Draw roll with a bonus and fired his weapon all in one second. This is perfectly plausible with Combat Reflexes, but not particularly plausible in real life. Possible, yes, but not very likely. His companions, without Combat Reflexes, would automatically Do Nothing for 1d seconds, and then must make IQ rolls to recover, and then they're a little less likely to make Fast Draw rolls.

Hunk makes his Dodge roll to avoid that bolt. He Dodges better than someone similar without Combat Reflexes; depicting the Dodge as coolly tilting his head is mere fluff. But if we suppose someone with totally average scores of DX 10, HT 10, Speed 5, and Dodge 8, with Combat Reflexes it becomes Dodge 9, an increased chance to succeed of 11.6%. That's significant, and a fair reason to give Hunk a bit of cinematic swagger. His reflexes are "extraordinary."

You don't have to give your characters silly names the way I have, but the basic functioning of Combat Reflexes is pretty cinematic. It's the stuff of action movies.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote