View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Psi] Mind Arts Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
While there is definitely a hint of spiritual powers and carryover into reality in the original, making it the actual intent stretches my suspension of disbelief a lot. It seems like you'd have to *start* with a good understanding of how such powers worked in the real world in order for your simulation to duplicate the sensations or recognize whatever brain physical states activated them in reality so as to activate the (enhanced) versions in the simulation - which would be necessary or the "training" wouldn't teach you anything about the real world versions.
That was actually why I included the Unusual Background: some people, including Kayaba, are already 'in the know' (it's a Secret Psi setting, in other words), Kayaba just happens to be ahead in this specific aspect of psi-tech.

Even if you aren't in the know, though, your character's MAO character may start with Psi Power Talents and Psi Perks, which the players in-story may assume to be randomly generated, but are actually advantages that your character has in his or her real life (this is getting kind of meta). Having active abilities above the Perk level (or psi-based disadvantages like Supersensitive or Weirdness Magnet) requires an Unusual Background, either the same one as above, or a 5-point UB for a psi with no connections to any of the conspiracies (how many, and how much they know about each other, depends on the GM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Though I will say it is an improvement for Kayaba *have* a motive that partly makes sense, instead of one he can't even remember himself.
That was something daneil-gudman came up with, possibly straight from watching the anime and wondering how Kayaba could be made to make sense.

Incidentally, I've edited the OP with something important that I forgot: Armory (Psychotronics) is one of the available psi-tech skills that the game can teach you.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote