View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 01:55 AM   #6
Wulfnor

Default Re: Dies the Fire/Emberverse RPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugin View Post
I've read this and the Nantucket series, and have considered ripping off several of the themes and ideas for a game, but I don't think I would place it in the EXACT universe, as it would allow the campaign to be shaped by the players rather than lore.

I also wouldn't have my players stat themselves. If I was going to run a game like this I would want my players to be exceptional; as in they have knowlege and at least one skill that the average guy doesn't. I.E. Horsemanship, Archery, Swordsmanship, survival skills, heck even basket weaving and moccasin making, etc... Not Joe Guy the computer tech, or John the NASCAR driver who now has useless skills.

Also, in the beginning of the series, except for right after the event, the characters are training. The Bearkillers who don't know how to ride are learning, they are practicing with weapons etc...

basically I would want my players to have characters who would plausibly be alive a month after the event (with out hiding out with a stockpile of food).

I guess you could have a montage where the character's learn useful skills or replace their now useless skills with useful ones, though.
Well as RPGers, they do know alot about archaic stuff that will be very helpful. In my group there will be Players that have fought as Heavy Fighters in the SCA. An have shot Archery in the SCA. Have knowledge on how to make a catapult, or make a motto and bailey castle. What the best tactics and formation to use in small group skirmishes, etc. Just being people who are use to running scenarios through their head and have learned how to improvise to get around a problem. Has them head and shoulders ahead of your average citizen. I mean what RPGer doesn't have a sword hanging on the wall somewhere in there house!