View Single Post
Old 10-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #9
wolf90

Default Re: Ninja Feedback Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
A question on "ducklings", do the ducklings that are not under active control fire at half strength outside of overruns? I assume the duckling under active control fires at full strength.

I assume that the ducklings that are not under active control fire at half strength during overruns (ie they are treated as disabled units), and the one under active control fires at full strength.

The same question actually applies to Vulcan ducklings as well.
Yes, The Vulcan and Ninja have the option of leaving all ducklings under passive control, in which case they fight at half strength as long as they stay within a hex of the Ogre. Or, the Ogre can take active control of one duckling, using it at full strength with functionally unlimited range, and the other three become "disabled", until such a time as the Ogre takes passive or full control of the unit(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
One thing I think is worth making explicit: presumably the Ninja can voluntarily dispel one of its own ghosts?
Yes, it most certainly can, and yes, we should have made that explicit. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
1) If a Ninja has 4 ducklings and enters an overrun and takes active control of 1 unit (dropping the other 3), can it reclaim the 4 units as ducklings after the overrun is over, or does it have to wait until the next turn? If it can reclaim them, what happens if it overruns again on the same turn? Can it pick a different active unit? Does it have to keep the same one?
Hmmm . . . This needs to be clarified. Using the rules as currently written, the Ninja declares at the beginning of the turn which (if any) is an active unit, and can switch at the beginning of every turn. But it also says it can take active control of one if a group of ducklings are in an overrun for the duration of the overrun.

I don't think these are exclusionary, but I agree it should be re-written. The Ogre can at most have one active unit during a turn. It can either A) choose one at the start of the turn, leaving the others as "disabled", or B) keep all as ducklings, activating one only during an overrun, and releasing it back as a duckling after the overrun has ended.

The key question is your follow-up regarding an additional overrun. I don't think an Ogre needs to keep using the same one in a different overrun, but it did not declare any unit as active for the turn. So I'd go with yes, it can activate a different unit in a subsequent overrun, but that unit still goes back to duckling status once that overrun is over, as no unit was declared "active" at the start of a turn.

Please feel free to comment on this proposed solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
2) Can Zombies (or any trick, for than matter) be taken more than once? If so, you should probably rephrase Zombies to say it adds 3 drone channels rather than gives a total of 4.
Some tricks seem very reasonable to "double up" on; we even state it explicitly in Extra Arrows and Light Artillery Drones. But many others would probably be a bad idea. So now it comes down to which should we allow multiples of, and which should be "one-and-done".

In addition to Extra Arrows and Light Artillery Drones, I would add Caltrops, Troll, Extra Ghost and Smoke Cloud to the list of those that can be 'duplicated'. Each of the rest I think should probably stay as single tricks, but I'm willing to hear arguments otherwise.

That being said, I could hear an argument for dropping Zombies to an additional single drone channel per trick chosen and allowing multiples to be chosen, maybe at a cost of 3-5 VP per trick? Thoughts?

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.