Thread: D&D Resurgence
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2020, 04:06 PM   #9
Aleph
Administrator

Default Re: D&D Resurgence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
I think these are very good points. GURPS can't hope to compete online with D&D. Something as slick and popular as Critical Role isn't on the cards. Having said that that, much less impressive productions are also much easier. If you can get all the players in on a Zoom session, that's pretty much all you need. Fans could do it (and some have, bless 'em). And if SJG is looking to put on demo games anyway, it might be good to have some available online.

I recognize that I'm speculating. I have zero experience in the game industry.
Sure, people can just put their Zoom sessions online. The point I'm trying to make though is that normal tabletop RPG sessions aren't that entertaining to watch for those that are not involved in the game. Most of us probably wouldn't even be particularly interested in re-watching our own sessions. It takes a degree of showmanship and performance to make that sort of thing into entertainment that others are going to be interested in tuning in for. And marketing and promotion on top of that to get people there in the first place.

We experimented with the format ourselves last year, with our Live in the Labyrinth show, using the people and setup we had on hand. We learned a lot in the process, and have used that to improve our in-house studio and streaming. But nearly a year later, less than 350 people have actually watched through to the final episode, so I'm not sure I'd say we were very successful with the format.
Aleph is offline   Reply With Quote