View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Lamech

Default Re: OOC: The Infinite, Interest and Q&A; possible offical OOC

Quote:
It is not silly to ask my players to make choices, stick with them, be direct with their actions, and face the consequences of them. That is role playing. Do the If/then in your head and make a choice based on it and face the outcome.
It is silly to ask them to make choices before their character would make the choice, without information said character would have at the time. How should a player scan an asteroid belt looking for power signs, and then raise the alarm if they see one? Worse, what if they want to repeatedly scan it and if they find a power sign stop and then raise the alarm? What if I want to try and repair the engine, but stop part way through if I hear any sounds of fighting?

I suppose the player could twist language around to avoid "ifs" but it would be pointless IMO. We could have a cycle of "I scan, I scan again, I scan again", but... that seems non-ideal...

I'm not saying people should be able to take back choices, or use information there character doesn't have with their "if" statements. If I post "If he's a cyborg I stab him." A reasonably response is "You don't know if he is a cyborg" (As is "you think he's a cyborg so you stab him" or "you think he's a cyborg, so you don't stab him.")

I guess I'm just trying to get a sense of how you would handle something like the scan the asteroid belt repeatedly. (Or walk patrol repeatedly, or repair something, but stopping if you hear sounds of fighting.)

Quote:
You also have to remember you have to have hte skills to function, like driving a speeder, languages, computer operations, bartering things like that. It is not hard to spend 100 points in skills to survive in a war torn galaxy, if you find it hard, your not thinking hard enough about what you need to survive in the star wars universe.
Language isn't a skill. IQ 20 puts the rest at expert level. I suppose there isn't really any problem. But there is a high chance of characters that are both broadly competent, AND hyper-competent in one area.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote