View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 05:40 AM   #10
Stormcrow

Default Re: Mod idea: a bit more Tolkien-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
The wizards in Tolkien were supernatural beings. All were far more powerful in theory than they ever showed in reality. All 5 were more or less equivalent to Saron... they all were Maiar.
Maiar encompasses an enormous range of power. Everyone from Sauron all the way down to the humblest handmaiden is a Maia if they started in the Halls of Iluvatar. You can't just say "they all were Maiar," brush off your hands, and walk away.

Quote:
No mortal spell casters are shown in LotR. Even Gladriel’s direct spell casting in the movies doesn’t happen in the books. I don’t think Gandalf setting fire to the wargs happened either.
I have already pointed out a bunch of mortal spell casters in my previous post. There are more. In Tolkien a "spell caster" is not someone with a special talent or godlike power; it is simply someone who utters a spell. A spell is any incantation that affects the world. Anyone can cast a spell if they know how and if they can put enough personal will or artistic ability into it.

Quote:
Indiscriminate use of powerful magic broke the world in the first Age.
Not at all. A war between godlike powers broke the world in the First Age. That was not indiscriminate.

Quote:
If you’re going to do Tolkien-ish I’d suggest using inmate powers rather than learned spells. The Istari certainly are expressing their inmate power when they use magic rather than casting a traditional spell. A magically oriented being could learn new powers over time, but much more expensively than just learning a spell.
I don't think there's any distinction in Tolkien between "innate power" and "traditional spell" as sources of magic. What is a "traditional spell," exactly, according to you?
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote