Thread: Feats!
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 02:24 AM   #23
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Feats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieddicus View Post
I know if you made talents cost the same for both heroes and wizards than the game wouldn't work.

My goal is to make a system that allows wizards to learn of to climb and swim like everyone else while still keeping heroes and wizards balanced.

I guess another way is just make wizardry a 3 or 4 cost talent.
For my group's Wizardry Talent (which nearly missed becoming an official optional rule back in 1981 - post here) we charged 5 talent points. Compared to RAW, that slightly disadvantaged wizards below IQ 10, while giving a small advantage to those over IQ 10. And with that in effect we could charge everyone the same cost for talents while preserving the original game balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieddicus View Post
Oh balance wise I totally agree! It just breaks my suspension of disbelief that someone who can use magic has a hard time learning other stuff. So I want a way to fix that while still keeping the game balanced.
Totally agree, it's just unnatural. Wizards should be able to swim, ride horses, roller skate, or make omelettes with no more difficulty than anyone else.

And remembering a list of talents that have two different costs depending on which characters want them is just a royal pain. Much, much easier to halve the number of available talent points for wizards (by tying up half of them in a 5 point or so Wizardry Talent) and then forget the doubling costs and their exceptions for all the rest of the talents.

A good point there about Staff Mana too. I've always considered it a good idea in principle, and starting wizards are so anemic, but selling Mana for XP at a flat rate potentially alters the wizard/hero balance of original TFT. Besides that feels super-gamey to me. Better, in my opinion, to tie Staff Mana to an attribute, something for which the cost rises as the attribute total grows, and just toss out all those other Staff spells.