View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #10
trag

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

That's fantastic!

I just bought a set of A. Wizard, A. Melee and TFT on Ebay with the thought of asking SJ to sign them at his 12/16 appearance here in Austin (BC Mall, IIRC), but logistics got in the way and they arrived too late.

Our gaming group played TFT from 1988 to 1991 in a very long intricate campaign. Then we switched GMs and changed to GURPS.

But when I grow weary of the skills and rules proliferation in GURPS I find TFT to be a pleasant relief.

While TFT is less intricate than GURPS, you can do a lot with it and spend a lot less time looking up rules.

I have another related group of friends who had, until last year, a 28 year tradition of a holiday season "geekathon". It started with all night sessions of Spaceward Ho! on networked Macs back in 1988, later switching to Bungie's "Marathon" but the last several years has been one day-long TFT adventure. So until last year, we were still using TFT.

Suggestions:

1) Keep it the way it is. The simplicity is a virtue that is still attractive.
2) If you want provide card stock maps or similar, perhaps just provide printable files. That will keep printing costs down for the books, and card stock can be bought by players and fed through laser printers or color laser printers. Or does no-one have a printer with a fairly straight paper path any more from the front "envelop feeder" to the rear output?
trag is offline   Reply With Quote