View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #33
JLV

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

Though I knew that there were still a lot of us old die-hard TFT fans out there; I must say I'm impressed with the number of comments on this thread for a game that hasn't seen the official light of day for over 35 years!

And I'd like to say that I think TFT really doesn't much need a major re-write. Steve might want to re-address how to make magic items (the explanation and examples in the original were a bit...opaque...at times, probably because of proof-reading errors back in the day), and maybe, in the light of his vastly greater experience with rules now, want to reorganize and/or rephrase the way some of the others are described as well, but the game system itself is tight, well-woven, and extremely fast-playing which is probably why so many of us still love it after all these years.

All in all, I can't see too much in the way of major content change being necessary. A good table of contents and an index would be huge pluses, though!

A word on the miniatures thing; those are great for a whole lot of people, but I still prefer the Cardboard Heroes. The ones you guys did for Dungeon Fantasy were absolutely gorgeous. And you have all those old files from back in the day by Dennis Loubet still out there -- including the "terrain" ones for caverns and dungeons (see my comment on maps below); just getting hard copies of those would be marvelous! So maybe an option in the Kickstarter would be to skip the miniatures and get CH instead?

And finally, I'd like to put in a plea for lots of the paper maps again -- loved the old inserts in the original AM, AW, and ITL, and would love to see them again, though maybe with a more durable cardstock thickness as opposed to just paper? Also, some outdoor "arena" maps would be fantastic! And maybe with obstacles such as trees, or pools, or pits, or columns, or rocks, or whatever that can be placed on the maps.

Anyway, Steve, you asked for input, so you're going to get it! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote