View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 03:24 AM   #37
Tomsdad

Default Re: Actual Impaling Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koningkrush View Post
Note that I am not a physics major or an arms expert, but low penetration rounds with high multipliers should do more damage if they don't pass through. Here's the definition of a hollow point for example.
Ah my point was about GURPS mechanism and how it applies in different ways for the cap (i.e not talking about real life and energy transfer of larger bullets compared to smaller etc).

So say you don't apply the multiplier to the cap and you have HP10 target

He gets hit by a .45 for 9 points of damage, no penetration cap so immediate injury is 9x1.5 = 13 all good

But say he get's hit by a .45 for 11 points of damage, now that hits the penetration cap (10) leaving 10 to be applied, but if you don't apply the multiplier your left with a 10 point injury (but it bleeds like a 16 point one though)

It's just an oddity of not applying the multiplier on the cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koningkrush View Post
"A hollow-point bullet is an expanding bullet that has a pit or hollowed out shape in its tip often intended to cause the bullet to expand upon entering a target in order to decrease penetration and disrupt more tissue as it travels through the target."

Really, there are two parts of injury that come from bullets.

1. Energy absorption by tissue.
2. Wound canal caused by round.

Gross tissue damage and injury are not the same things though (hell energy doesn't match directly to tissue damage either come to that)

Ultimately there is only one cause of death (oxygen starvation of the brain).

But it can be very difficult and circuitous path to get to that when pushing things at high velocity through different bits of such a highly variable thing as the human body.

Lots of factors (Rupert's point some out above)

Last edited by Tomsdad; 09-25-2015 at 03:36 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote