View Single Post
Old 09-04-2016, 08:29 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Help: Space Combat?

I'm extremely pessimistic about the gaming usefulness of Spaceships combat. Just noting that here, I'm going to try to leave that alone and stick to technical answers...

Unfortunately, I'm not sure where to start. You haven't been very specific about what you're looking for, and some of the answers are likely to be extremely circumstantial. For instance, I don't think realistic space engagements very likely to have any of the phases you mention - ships are likely to know where the opponent is and decide whether or not to shoot them long before they close in, and withdrawing is either unlikely to be possible (in a low-relative-velocity engagement) or completely involuntary (in a fast pass). Which should not impede you from playing a game where those things do happen, but you need to lay out more of what you've got in mind...

I can answer the +2 vs. +24 modifier question though! The +24 is for when the background behind the target is the darkness of. The +2 is for when the background is a planet, star, moon, etc. I'm not sure if there's any circumstance where you don't get at least the +2, except maybe if you are also not in plain sight.