View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #9
Infornific

Default Re: Striking Strength and Readying Heay Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Good find. I believe RAW text makes clear that SS definitely counts for meeting Min ST; the above clarifies that it also matters for speeding up polearms, etc. And for the sake of simplicity, I appreciate that both of these things rely on the same stat (SS); if one did but the other didn't, I'd probably keep forgetting which is which.

At the same time, though, I kind of like the opposite (not RAW) effect: Lifting ST matters for meeting Min ST and for readying heavy weapons, while SS only determines damage. I like the effect that it yields in, say, Catfolk (SS > LS) vs Dwarves (LS > SS). If SS governs damage but LS governs the size of the weapon you can use, you get the effect of Catfolk having to use relatively light weapons (though to good effect), while Dwarves find that their impressive LS goes to waste with light weapons. Bring in some big, heavy mauls, though, and the Dwarves become happy: their LS lets them wield the things, while the weapons' heft supplies the extra damage that the Dwarves' modest SS doesn't provide.

I prefer how that works out, but maybe there's a pitfall in there that I'm overlooking?

Technically, you could make it RAW:

NuLifting ST +1 [4]: Lifting ST [3] & Heavy Weapons Perk [1]

NuStriking ST +1 [4]: Striking ST +1 (-20%, doesn't affect weapon MinST) [4]

Alternately,

NuStriking ST +1 [4]: Striking ST +1 [5] and Quirk -1 ST for Weapon MinST [-1]

I can't see any pitfalls but if you think costs are balanced RAW, you probably want your modified Lifting ST and Striking ST to both cost 4/level.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote