View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 02:41 AM   #186
Icelander

Default Re: Houston and Galveston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
>>>>Alice Talbot is from the Bay Area in California.

Then she'd have a lot of company. Texas seems to be the top destination for Californians frustrated with state government, especially corporate taxes.
Well, Alice was more frustrated with her classmates turning out to be in a cult and sacrificing her to some sort of demon, but I'm sure it's a similar frustration.

With Low Self-Image and Shyness, Alice does not easily make friends or seek out company, but she has all the normal needs for affection, companionship and friendship, so she'd not rebuff anyone who was 'aggressively' welcoming.

Someone shy in Reykjavík (or New York for that matter) would probably be left alone and not have much of a social circle, because my experience is that it's regarded as impolite for someone to pursue acquaintanceship or even just seek to be friendly neighbors if the other party does not explicitly make it clear that such advances are acceptable.

Is it different in Houston?

At least from movies and television, Southern hospitality seems to be a lot more 'aggressive' than would be acceptable here in Reykajvík. Would Alice's neighbors in the Rice Graduate Apartments* have visited her during her 18 months in Houston? Enough to cultivate some sort of relationship, even if Alice didn't take any initiative in getting to know them?

What about people she meets in the course of an ordinary day? Wait staff at restaurants? Cashiers at markets? Do they know her name and greet her personally, like in TV shows set in the South, or are they more 'normal' and don't really notice anything except the amount changing hands?

Basically, aside from the people Alice's player spent points on as Allies or Patrons, whose name might she know in Houston? What are typical people that shy college students in a city far from home might come to know?

*Of course, I expect people from all over live there, perhaps with people from Houston in a minority, if only because they already have homes available without commuting distance from Rice University. Still, I expect that with most universities, in-state students are fairly common.