View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 05:26 PM   #13
Rasputin

Default Re: DF Monsters: A Wizard did It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
First I've heard of either of them. I'm a fairly young gamer. Looked at storm-bringer though and the intital glance wasn't promising as far as monsters are concerned.
Stormbringer is a Chaosium RPG, using mechanics akin to Call of Cthulhu or Runequest, based on the Elric of Melniboné books by Michael Moorcock. They're dark fantasy based on an anti-hero, Elric, who wields a sword, Stormbringer, that has a mind of its own.

Arduin is a late-1970s add-on to D&D that became its own RPG. It was written by Dave Hargreaves, who was in the same circle as the folks who formed Chaosium, which is likely how air sharks got ported into Stormbringer. I've only read the last of the Elric books, but saw nothing akin to air sharks in there. Anyways, Arduin is D&D up to 11. It's vaguely Rifts-like in that regard. Going through my PDF of the trilogy (sadly off RPGNow for the moment), I'll pull out some appropriate monsters:

Doomguard: a magically animated armor that … well, here's the description:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduin Grimoire
A Doomguard is a magikally animated armor. It can teleport at will. While 100% fire, lightning, fear, paralysis, confusion, and charm proof, cold does half damage, and slows them. They must literally be dismembered to stop.
Maggoths: big, smelly slugs with "quivering black-tipped eyestalks."
Red Fang: "a red, velvet furred tarantula with 6 star sapphire like eyes and yellow fangs."
Thunder Bunnies: a massive swarm of "[c]razed, foam mouthed jack rabbits … They are very much like land piranhas."
Tryvern: a three-headed, three-tailed wyvern.
Vroat: a cross between a giant toad and a crocodile, they jump and bite with their big jaws.
Chaeronyx: centaur/medusa hybrid. That's a common theme in Arduin: there's no monster that can't be made better by crossing it with another monster.
Gryfylisk: basilisk/gryphon hybrid.
Kill Kittens: they're cute, and play it up, until they bite their poisonous bite. And there's 12d4 of them in a pack in the open, with the rest in hiding until they get a mark.
Mansters: free-willed flesh golems that need to drink four quarts of human blood a day.
Shock Bones: skeletons wired together and animated with electricity.
Tarakk: dragon/horned toad hybrids.

I'll stop before I get to the monsters of the third book, as this is plenty.

My GURPS blog.

Last edited by Rasputin; 09-17-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote