View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #38
The Bearded One

Default Re: GURPS Community Campaign & Adventure Repository

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcallistan View Post
GURPS: Teen Muties. A 'school for gifted youth' collects or finds students who are taught to employ their gifts by teachers who were once heroes themselves. Outcasts, orphans or simply odd-looking; they exist in a world where all other comic characters exist or have existed (mostly UK-based ones).
Plots mined from all of comic book history. Other timelines and alternates, vistors from the future, 'the very last nazi giant robot of all', demons and angels, it's all happened.
Has been rebooted and revisited several times with different groups, resulting in a fourth-wall-breaky style that means characters and events are reworked and reinterpreted as time passes; while the time is an eternal present day.
I should have known that my idea wasn't unique.
Substitute Heroes was my GURPS Supers (3e) campaign in which the PCs played teenaged mutant supers-in-training who are suddenly pushed by their teacher to become a full-fledged public super team when the previous team of mutant heroes is slaughtered by a powerful demon. The team made some rookie mistakes, but wound up helping to save the world from the precog's vision of a demon invasion anyway. The ideas are drawn very heavily from Marvel Comics storylines from the late 1980s. This campaign ran slightly more than two years (100 or so sessions?).

GURPS Twilight Zone only ran four sessions, but could have gone on many more. The PCs were not individuals at all, they were tropes or templates who were different people in each adventure (ie: the old woman, the kid, the athlete, etc.). Each session was a separate story with different characters. Two were modern horror, one was a psi-powered/mad scientist parable, and one was an encounter with aliens on a trans-oceanic airplane.

GURPS Tunnels & Trolls was an experimental adventure which only ran three sessions. It started out as a standard DF-style fantasy (in 3e days), but as the adventure continued, the PCs started to realize that they couldn't trust their perceptions and might have hallucinated that whole dungeon quest.

Space Cops was my final GURPS campaign before switching to 4th edition. The system of five planets under a unified, TL9-10 government sans FTL has no army because it has no external enemies. Instead, it uses various police (space marines, feds, beat cops, etc.) to keep the peace. In the early days of a terrorist threat, the PCs inadvertantly stumble upon a very stealthy alien first contact and become the government's Alpha team for rooting out the alien threat while dealing with an increasingly violent terrorist movement.
This campaign only lasted about 8 or 12 sessions before my player base imploded for metagame reasons. It would not take long to translate my materials into GURPS 4e, and perhaps someday I will.

GURPS 1861 was a two-session adventure I used to playtest a magic variation that I found in Pyramid magazine. The PCs were essentially Men in Black employed by the Union government to prevent a necromantic preacher from swaying the Maryland government away from secession less than a week after the start of the American Civil War.

GURPS Onion was a two-session adventure I used to playtest a magic combination that I got from GURPS Thaumatology. The PCs were physically 18-year-old humans who had been created from pure magic less than 12 hours previously on a bowl-shaped world which was also about 12 hours old. They got into a magic-filled skirmish with sapient lions who concentrated on Light/Dark and Fire colleges.

Portal was thus far my only GURPS 4e campaign. It lasted about two years (about 80+ sessions). PCs were 50-point normals who happened to discover an interdimensional portal which would take them to numerous (but not infinite) other worlds. It was a sort of Collegio Januari before that wonderful supplement was published.
As the characters wandered through several worlds, they realized that an army of insect-people were attempting to conquer many of the same worlds they were visiting. In the end, it became a race against time to gather a multi-dimensional army, locate the insects' homeworld, and seal the portals before the entire multiverse fell to the insect armies.

My apologies for not having web-links for these. As soon as I establish a website of my own, I will link from here.
Player - G4e Sex Crossbows (Dungeon Fantasy)
Player - Deadlands
The Bearded One is offline   Reply With Quote