View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 01:17 AM   #22
flankspeed

Default Re: Critical success / failure on more than 3 dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
.... Roll colored (or otherwise distinguished) dice as Flankspeed describes above.
If the 3 core dice indicate a critical result, then roll again to confirm.
I can understand wanting to have the number of dice affect the odds of a critical result, but this starts to remind me of things in Basic Role Playing or DragonQuest or D&D that I have mixed feelings about..

In percentile-dice-based systems, the rules may state something like a roll totaling 5% or less of your base chance is the ultimate critical result and a roll under 15% or less of your base chance is some kind of special success. This would result in very fine distinctions as a 60% chance to hit would score a crit on 3% or less and a special hit on 9% or less, and so on. You would have to constantly take rounding off into account or let a table show you the numbers.

While the wargame-loving simulationist in me liked that idea in principle, in reality, I really didn't enjoy having to do the math or consult a table each time dice were rolled. Too much detail for me, in this case. And the old D&D system of confirming the crit with another roll was also just too much detail for me.

I will support anyone else making whatever house rules they desire, but I just can't add that much detail to TFT, which I love for how easy it is to resolve rolls with clear results in a single roll, no math or tables or confirmation needed. I will stick with the straight 3d roll crit chances.

However, I do remember original ITL clearly stating that the GM did not need to allow automatic successes or crits on certain rolls because then players could abuse the system to eventually succeed no matter how small the odds of success should actually be. If a GM wanted to simply say that no automatic successes/crits can be scored on 4d or higher, that would be one way to handle things.

Again, so long as we are talking a one-time dice roll and not repeated rolls ad infinitum, then I am happy with using the 3d chances for automatic results.