Thread: Facing
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 01:49 AM   #37
Nils_Lindeberg

Default Re: Facing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack O'All Trades View Post
Keep in mind the 5 second turns. It isn't "one guy is walking up and the other runs by him and stabs him in the back." It's "one guy over stepped and made himself ineffective by slipping or not being ready/one guy is much more agile and is able to twist the enemy around and get his flank...
... the whole movement is an abstraction I don't think this is a breaking point for me.

What's not clear to me is how one could get attacked in the back against less than 3 opponents in your modification. At worst it is a side attack when facing two enemies.
Mistakes like slipping or making an attack and over extending is not a tactical decision it is missed attack or fumbled parry (in TFT a lucky crit for the opponent). Not something you should be able as a player to count yourself out of. Those things are what die rolls are for.

Movement is an abstraction, but why not keep it less abstract and more realistic if we can, especially if it is faster and easier?

And you are right, usually you don't get stabbed in the back. You usually get the choice to give one or two of your attackers a side attack. Especially if you yourself want to attack in a third direction. I think it is good enough that people will search for the tactical advantage which is good, and not devastating enough that one mistake in counting hexes will kill your char.

And even when I have trained martial arts and practiced to fight several opponents (usually very hard and not something I practiced often). It was pretty easy to move around to avoid having one opponent squarely in my back. You turned and shifted and tried to get through any opening they left in between them in order to get them all more or less in front of you. And in the end, if they coordinated and timed their attacks one would get you in the side.

With no chance of correcting your facing it would mean that every other turn when you face two people they would win initiative and get you in the back, even if you shift around. And that is waaay to often in my experience. You can almost always keep two attackers in your field of vision and mostly in front (now and then one would get you in the side) of you as long as you can move a little bit.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote