Thread: Facing
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 12:56 AM   #35
Nils_Lindeberg

Default Re: Facing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post

If you allow figures to change facing after movement, then side/rear situations would almost never occur unless someone gets surrounded.
This is a valid argument. It is not that strange getting attacked in the back in the middle of a chaotic melee, maybe even if you are not surrounded in some way. A general lack of perception when a lot is going on can definitiely account for that. But since we have 100% knowledge in all other things when we make decisions like exact range for missile or thrown attacks, we can calculate the exact trajectory and see who we need to roll to miss and not, even before we even move to the new position. We can optimize area effects, we know exactly how the terraine will affect us when we move. We know when reinforcement arrives at the other end of the melee or when someone exits a large shadow on the other side that is out of LOS, etc.

Personally as a GM I often let it slip, or if players act on information that they definitely shouldn't have automatically I let them roll to see it, or hear their allies call it out if they see it.

I don't really see why facing should be excluded and turned into a 100% sure knowledge thing. Like, I know if I step around these guys I will be able to attack that other guy over there in the side and he will never, ever, see me coming.

So even in a grand melee I prefer the somewhat accurate knowledge that if I get over there and flank that enemy, me or my flanking buddy would get an advantage.

But I agree with your argument. After the initial turns when everything is chatotic it will be less calculations and more realistic to be attacked in the side or back without being surrounded.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote