View Single Post
Old 03-13-2016, 04:03 AM   #105
Polydamas

Default Re: Revising GURPS Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
Thus, it's probably best to focus on spells that allow for player character "get rich quick" schemes, since these are the most likely to represent an actual problem in ongoing play.
That is my perspective as well. Very few players are worried whether the setting is internally consistent, as long as it gives them a space to have the kind of adventures they came to the table to have. Moreover, they don't have the data on demographics, crop yields, incomes, etc. which they would need to show that inconsistency (plenty of real-world countries never collected that before WW II, and some of them still publish data which could be wrong by a factor of two or three ... there has never been a complete and reliable census of Afghanistan for example). But quite a few players will happily break a setting if they need money or see an opportunity. So the Earth spells bother me more than Bless Plant or the Gate college.

There are some pre-20th-century societies where around half the population lived in cities, although many of them worked on the land and lived in the city.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 03-13-2016 at 04:13 AM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote