View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 10:55 PM   #103
scc

Default Re: Revising GURPS Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
There are some spells with economic consequences that I am going to discuss because PCs are likely to use them in "get rich quick" schemes, but "Bless Plant" is not one I am particularly worried about:

- It's less useful as part of a "get rich quick" scheme because it takes months to play out.

- I don't have a problem with farmers in medievalesque fantasy worlds supporting a somewhat higher urban population than in our European Middle Ages, since that is what frequently happens in fantasy worlds. However, farming villages in such worlds have a host of problems that farming villages in medieval worlds did not have, such as raids by orcs and goblins or other wandering monsters, supernatural plagues, or cultists of evil deities creating blights and bad weather.

When the situation is good, harvests are excellent. But a much higher portion of the village resources and time is spent on defense, so the math is not identical.
Also given how ANCIENT these sorts of worlds tend to be it's almost certain that they've stumbled upon more advanced forms of crop rotation and managed to bred animals and plants that give better yields. And fantasy animals may be a better choice then the horse for pulling farm equipment.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote