View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 07:52 PM   #43
Rindis

Default Re: [Sorcery] Those Other Spells...

Sorry for the delay here, fell ill last week, and haven't been paying attention to a few things.

Yes, the -60% Reduced Range limitation is an extrapolation of the chart on B115. The normal range for anything that has it is 100 yards, and AD&D specifically mentions 'jets of flames 3 feet in length', so I wanted to go for that, and certainly not allow a 10 yard cone....

I rather like that it forces a probably lightly-armored magic-user up into the front line to use it. But if the enemy is wearing burnable clothes (some cloaks...) or not much at all, it could be really scary for the bad guys.

Here's another that I think I've worked out most of the holes on:

Charm Person (VC)
Enchantment, Somatic, Verbal, Resisted (Will)
36 points/level
Casting Time: 1 second
Casting Roll: Innate Attack (Gaze) to aim.
Range: 100 yards
Duration: Special

Successful use of this spell will make a subject (which must be a ‘person’; an intelligent non-magical humanoid, e.g., humans, elves, brownies, gnolls, orcs...) come under the delusion that you are a friend and ally who must be protected. This does not give you control over the subject, nor any ability to communicate with him that you did not already have, but he will look upon anything you can say to him in a very positive light.

Roll against Innate Attack (Gaze) to ‘hit’ the desired subject. Upon success, you and the subject make a Quick Contest of Will, and he will be charmed for 5 hours per MoS. Sorcery Talent adds to your effective Will, and additional levels of the spell add a -1 penalty to the target’s Will.

Note that this spell only makes the target trust you. You can’t order him around, and you certainly can’t order him to commit suicide. You can’t make him turn on his actual trusted friends, unless you can give him a good reason why, but you could tie everyone up in a debate with the subject as to who to trust more. Demonstrating that you can’t be trusted will break the charm, and anything that would cause second thoughts can either be role-played, or handled as a Reaction Roll, with a Poor or worse result breaking the charm.

Affliction 1 (Will; Disadvantage: Severe Delusion, “The caster is my close, trusted friend.” +15%; Accessibility: Non-magical, sapient, IQ 6+ humanoids only, -10%; Extended Duration, x300, +100%; Malediction 2, +150%; No Signature, +20%; Requires Gestures, -10%; Requires Magic Words, -10%; Sorcery, -15%) [3.6x10]

Last edited by Rindis; 08-19-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Rindis is offline   Reply With Quote