View Single Post
Old 08-19-2022, 09:26 AM   #23
Curmudgeon

Default Re: Should Waiting permanently change your place in the turn sequence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovewyrm View Post
I like the premise, but could it not run the risk to become a case like the problem of rolling defense only if threatened by a hit that some describe as "psi premonition for the everyman" (paraphrased)?
Maybe, although under the premise of the rule change, I'd be more inclined to call it having "very good situational analysis skills."

Quote:
Also, would interrupts reset? If this is meant to be fair...wouldn't the faster characters interrupt every time?
Interrupts only reset at the end of the common turn. They replace the interrupting character's non-defense actions for the remainder of the turn, i.e., "I want to attack C, now that he's become a threat." "Too bad, you've already had your turn when you attacked A. Go ahead, C."

Faster characters are always able to interrupt, they are after all faster, but it doesn't necessarily follow that they always will interrupt. As in the example above, there's something to be said for letting events unfold naturally, so that the character really is reacting to the greatest/most immediate threat for this turn.

Quote:
slowpoke moves, fastpoke interrupts and gives slowpoke a good whack
slowpokes move goes on, but fastpoke being faster also probably has the better defenses (at least dodge wise) and has an edge there.
Probably, but the intent was to make initiative fairer, not to equalize slowpoke and fastpoke otherwise. No matter what the initiative system, fastpoke is faster than slowpoke and, in the interests of versimilitude, something very like this ought to be able to happen regardless of the system being used. If fastpoke can't preempt slowpoke, that's more likely to start a "Hey! What's going on here. That's not realistic. I ought to be able to..." argument than an occasional back-to-back turn is, in my opinion.

Quote:
Then fastpoke gets to attack, and slowpoke perhaps to defend, already possibly on a backleg.
No, fastpoke had his attack, for better or worse, when he interrupted. Unless he All-Out Attacks (Double), thereby forfeiting his defenses, he's had his turn, he doesn't get to go again until his next turn.

It wasn't clear, but the Interrupt is just that, an Interrupt. As soon as fastpoke makes his attack, if that's the response he chooses, slowpoke picks up from where he was interrupted. A DX roll, or perhaps a (DX+HT)/2 or even (DX+Per)/2 roll, might permit slowpoke to react quickly enough to changed circumstances to alter his declared action, for example, moving to close the distance between him and fastpoke that opened when fastpoke sidestepped to the rear in anticipation of slowpoke's attack, or trying to parry fastpoke's feint rather than ignoring it to All-Out Attack as originally planned.

Quote:
And then on a new turn fastpoke interrupts slowpoke again, with the perfect counter to whatever slowpoke is doing.
Yes, but that, or something very like it, is always going to be a problem when one character goes first and the other character's player gets to see/hear what that character is doing. (One idea for reducing player information was to have declaration cards, which would have a generic action on the front and the actual action chosen on the front. Thus, from the front you could tell that a character was attacking, but not whether he was Attacking or All-Out Attacking; that he was using a ranged weapon, but not whether he was going to Attack this turn or was still Aiming; that the character was standing there, but not whether he was Doing Nothing or Waiting). Of course some things were unmistakable, such as Long Action or Readying a Weapon.) Short of hidden declarations, or reducing information available to players, I don't see a way around that.

Quote:
That said, I like this system in tactical games like jagged alliance...but that's also controlled by an AI and is more opaque.
I don't expect to ever use it or playtest it, as it feels more bother than the rules as is are. There's also the fact that I can forget my intention to use alternate systems if my players don't constantly remind me initially. I still want to deploy John M. Ford's alternate healing system from I'm Not Dead Yet! in my games, with players only getting a rough idea of how badly wounded they are, but despite my repeated announcements that I'm going to use the system in this campaign, I always end up forgetting; giving the players exact damage numbers and my players never remind me, "Hey, I thought you were using Superficial, Light and Severe Wounds for damage!"
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote