View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #43
tbeard1999

Default Re: Advanced Combat Skills

A starting character who insists on taking UC V can take ST 8, DX 12 and IQ 12. Per AM:21, he will do 3-4 with punches and 4-4(?) with kicks. He’ll be -3 to hit and will stop 4 points of damage.

I think that’s a little strong for a starting character.

The martial artist outclasses a starting ST12, DX12(10) IQ8 fighter with broadsword small shield and leather armor. The martial artist stops 4 hits and hits 50% of the time for ~6.5 points of damage and has movement of 10. The fighter stops 3 points of damage, hits 16% of the time and moves 8.

On the other hand a starting fighter can take ST11 DX9 IQ12 and get Sword Mastery talent. He’ll hit with adjDX 11 and do 2-1 with a shortsword or adjDX9 and do 3+1 damage. He’s also -3 to hit, but stops no damage.

I think the fighter would lose >50% of fights with the martial artist. However, it would be a LONG fight, since the martial artist will hit the fighter about 33% of the time and the fighter will hit the martial artist about 25% of the time.

I suggest a modest adjDX requirement to use the advanced UC and weapon talents so that (a) beginning PCs won’t be over-powerful and (b) folks with advanced talents will be able to hit each other a fair a int of the time.

Edit - thanks zot for pointing out that the talents already have DX prerequisites. I still think that these should be adjusted DX prerequisites.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 07-14-2018 at 12:13 PM. Reason: I’m an illiterate who didn’t read the original post.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote