View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 11:59 PM   #47
Kirk

Default Re: Fantasy Trip Glitches, Contradictions, Ambiguities

I'll post some of my thoughts succinctly without much detail for the very few areas that may need dinking with, and hope Steve happens across them.

My overall caveat is that TFT works very well, let's please not try to add everyone's favorite area of expertise or pet peeve alteration to end up with a
Great Unknown Role Playing System, a game with a similar acronym but more popular may already exist (not that there is anything wrong with it).

I've played and GMed this game since its inception (about 41 years) and it still is a great game to play AS IT IS, despite the lack of gender fluid pronouns present in the text.

Pole Weapons: Although some people have suggested a Charge and Defend option (I personally don't think that is allowed if the rules are read carefully) to handle opponents with pole weapons, they are a bit overpowered in many cases, even if requiring a 3 hex line charge and the like. Breaking damage out into penetrating vs. slashing etc. smells too much like the aforementioned game, but some simple solution needs to be found to keep pole weapons interesting and worthwhile, without making them the immediate go-to. I hate to suggest a solution such as being able to deflect the weapon with an attack subject to DX as it is being used in a charge instead of an attack on the wielder himself, simple and TFTish, IMO. This then spoils the charge (if it worked) and sets the two characters engaged with each other on more even footing.

Missile Weapons and DX: This might also apply to DX in general, and that is to clarify when DX makes you more accurate or instead, faster, or the converse. We still have to house rule various situations when archers have DX alterations, such as aimed shots, shock, or talent effects. When does that character get to act?

Death: We all know that life is a knife's edge, at least anyone who has lived for a while does, but TFT draws a hard line, ST 1, you are alive, ST 0, you are dead, and that just doesn't feel right. We house rule a saving roll of 3d6 vs. ST, modified by current strength. So a basic ST character of ST 12 who is currently at ST 1 and unconscious who is nibbled on by a rat or spider to ST 0 needs a 12 or less to be "healable" i.e. not currently mortally wounded, but the same character suffering from a battleaxe to the head that now sits at -4 ST would need an 8 on 3d6 to be salvageable.

Automatic anything, Sleep Spell: Maybe change a few things, being very, very careful not to upset the balance, for automatic success. For instance, the Sleep spell, successfully cast, guarantees sleep, which often equates to death. Of course, Sleep is weak in that one can be shaken awake, or hit and awakened, but Sleep can still be quite a powerful spell since it does not take into account the will or IQ of the subject of the spell.

Bolas and Boomerangs: Bolas are interesting weapons, and if the field isn't taken, often are single use items, probably penalty enough. We also house rule that someone with a bladed weapon can cut the bola off, destroying it for current battle use, to limit its repeated use in a battle or even a part of a campaign. Perhaps a saving roll of sorts to either avoid it or remove it within the context of the current rules.

Boomerang wielding Wizards are a fave of a friend of mine, and it can be an excellent combination. Perhaps a bit too excellent. Slightly dumbing down these weapons might be prudent. We house rule breakage when used, something like 1 or a 2 on a d6, sufficient to prevent proper aerodynamics when used again, and alterable by the GM depending on what the boomerang might be hitting.

There might be a few other things I could mention, but these come to the top as needs addressing, so would say the veteran players I know. :)

Last edited by Kirk; 03-02-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote