View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 10:56 AM   #42
larsdangly

Default Re: Fantasy Trip Glitches, Contradictions, Ambiguities

Here's something I've toyed with in my head but never play tested: I think the rules for engagement are good, but that combat would be more dynamic (and realistic, for whatever that's worth) if many weapons had greater reach. I think it is true that if two combatants are separated by 1.33 meters between their torso's, they are so close that they don't have freedom of movement without risking an immediate attack. That is just very, very close for armed combat. However, it is also about the distance of a close bind when fighting with swords or other weapons; most of such combat happens at a range where the combatant's torsos are separated by more like 6-8 feet. You are well in range of a normal, controlled attack with a long 1-handed or normal 2-handed weapon at that distance. When fighting with pole arms, this probably extends to 8-10 feet separation. So, I think it would be appropriate to change the ranges of many melee weapons, something along the following lines:

Dagger: HTH or 1
Short 1-h weapons (short sword, mace, hammer): 1
Longer 1-h weapons (broadsword, rapier, morning star, etc.): 1 or 2
Most normal 2H weapons: 1 or 2
Most pole arms: 2 or 3

Perhaps the most important change this would lead to is that you could exchange blows without becoming engaged, and the set of hexes you threaten would increase. I suspect movement would get much more interesting and dynamic, particularly in fights with 2-3 combatants on a side at close quarters. I am not sure how it would work out in practice, but I think this is well worth exploring.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote