View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #48
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Question about cutting a throat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Huh. Hadn't noticed that.

Still, it's lacking rules that say 'grappling the jaw means you can't speak', which is what I was saying. RAW GURPS has no way of silencing your victim - he'll shout out, which is something you can do if you are mentally stunned (which involves taking the Do Nothing maneuver, which allows speech). Wouldn't be very realistic if surprise or fear would mean you can't scream, since surprise and fear resulting in screaming is pretty much exactly what happens in real life.

So, yes, it takes a while to kill a guy in real life - that's fine, but he can still yell for help even though his neck was just cut in half, and he'll still take forever to die from blood loss even in the worst possible situation.

Also: I had thought a large knife was something a bit bigger than a combat knife (more along the lines of a machete), hence why I used a small knife in my example.

The All-Out Grapple and Strike maneuver (which I had completely missed) also looks like it'll be much more useful for this.

Anyways, if grappling the jaw actually silenced opponents, and if ST really should impact knife damage that much (which I'm simply dubious about, unless strong people utilize different techniques from weaker people), then all right, sentry removal isn't as badly done in GURPS as I had thought. I still think that you should get a bonus to hit a location that you've immobilized via grappling, that severe bleeding is too slow, and that there should be some mention in the RAW that grappling the jaw silences a person.
It's definitely permitted to silence someone by grappling their face, as used on page 11 of MA:Fairburn Close Combat Systems. EDIT: Ok, it keeps their mouth shut, so they can't cry out. It doesn't make it impossible for them to make any noise.

I have the vague idea that I've seen that in other RAW, but I haven't been able to turn it up.

I'm pretty sure a machete is way bigger than a large knife. It might not be bigger than a long knife. Martial Arts probably addresses this, but I don't have it handy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post
Veins and arteries (if cut) bleed for 1 HP per turn!
I don't know if this is houserules or playing a different edition (given that you use HT instead of HP), but that's flat out not true. Martial Arts for 4e has Veins and Arteries bleed every 30 seconds.

Last edited by Ulzgoroth; 07-08-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote