View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #21
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Ritual Path Magic already has supplements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
In terms of its "supplements": I posted my critique of the Bottled Magic rules not long after the article first came out; I'm happy to see that it had an impact on the revised version found in RPM. At this point, I consider the original Bottled Magic article to be of historical significance only: use the version found in RPM instead.
PK revised and I added a few things that I cut from the original. Overall, I'm happier with the revised version in Thauamtology Ritual Path Magic than the one that appeared in Pyramid.

Quote:
RPM also has rules for "Slow and Sure Enchanting". The rules are based on the Improvement Through Study rules (i.e., 200 hours of work gets you a character point's worth of enchantment); so the only thing that's needed from the Metatronic Generators article are the points-to-cash conversion; and frankly, even that could come from other sources. Impulse Buys has a points-for-cash option in it, which could be run in reverse: have one point of enchantment cost 10% of the campaign average starting cash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
There's a points-for-cash mechanic right in the Basic Set: $1,000 per point for abilities which require skilled procedures and recovery time (Surgical Modifications, p. B295), or $2,000 or more per point for "instant" ability acquisition (Supernatural Modifications, p. B295).
That could work. Keep in mind that you don't need just the values, because you aren't using gadget modifiers with the system - the "Gadget Modifiers" are including in the cost of the item.

Quote:
I am somewhat disappointed that the Enchantment system was almost entirely divorced from the RPM system: it's actually "buy an equivalent of your ritual's effects as item-limited Powers". It's nice; but it has about as much to do with RPM as it has to do with regular Magic. I'd rather see something that's based on the Charm Creation rules, but slowed way down to account for the fact that the enchantment is permanent: something like what the "alchemical talismans and charms" rules in Magic do for the default Alchemy system. What follows is an example of how it might be done:
I have such a system in the final stages before Pyramid submission.

Quote:
Shift the energy accumulation rolls from five seconds or minutes to one eight-hour day per roll (with Ritual Adept being useless for speeding things up); the time isn't spent on accumulating the energy so much as carefully weaving the energy into the item's form, which takes a lot longer. Rules for using these items could be derived from the equivalent part of the aforementioned "alchemical charms" rules, with the "talisman recharge time" being based on how many multiples of the creator's Safe Threshold (RPM page 26) the ritual's energy cost is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
I really like this idea. I'd been playing around with introducing Raw Magic (as per Thaumatology) for making enchantments, but I think I'm going to play around with this idea instead (or possibly in addition).
Hmmm. Interesting.

Quote:
I haven't had the opportunity to pick up the other articles referenced, so I can't comment on them yet.
Let us know when you do! :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote