View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #19
PK

Default Re: [PU4, PP] Mental Defense Only vs. Malediction-Proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Regardless "Malediction-Proof" Protects against Maledicitions, regardless of if it is an enhanced Innate Attack or an Affliction. A very specific Penetration Modifier.

"Mental Defense only" Uses Mindshield instead of DR and is a Penetration Modifier that specifically cannot be combined with Malediction.

I fail to see how they could interact.
TMW sums it up as well as I could have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
To those players, declaring "Too bad, this enemy's attack ignores your DR from your Psychic Armor, because he's bought 'Mental Defense Only' enhancement" will sound unreasonable.
Sorry to hear that. I trust in your ability as GM to handle the situation, of course. Personally, I would suggest simply not adding any bad guys with such attacks. You'll note that none of the attacks in GURPS Psionic Powers use that enhancement.

After all, before PU4 came out, it would have already been possible for an evil psi to make an attack that bypassed Psychic Armor. Something like Toxic Attack 1d (Cosmic, Irresistible Attack, +300%; Long-Range 1, +50%; Telepathy, -10%) [18] -- call it "Telepathic Blast." Such a thing would've blown right past Psychic Armor, which was designed to protect against the types of attacks found in GURPS Psionic Powers. There will always be some weird way of creating abilities that can get around any given specific build.

So if you do decide to add attacks with Mental Defense Only, why not just stipulate that such attacks must also take the -10% limitation, "Affected by Psychic Armor"? That's a simpler way to handle it that may be less likely to confuse your players. Or just call it a 0-point feature of Psychic Armor, which is already pretty expensive to begin with.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote