View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #17
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: [PU4, PP] Mental Defense Only vs. Malediction-Proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
I like Psionic Powers much. I use it for my campaign and I introduce abilities in it to new players, for simplicity's sake, like this:
  • "Psychic Armor is a type of mental defense. It works against any damaging psionic attacks."
  • "Psionic Shield is another type. It gives a bonus to resistance rolls to non-damaging telepathic threats."
To those players, declaring "Too bad, this enemy's attack ignores your DR from your Psychic Armor, because he's bought 'Mental Defense Only' enhancement" will sound unreasonable. I, as a GM, know that there's game mechanics behind the scenes -- Psychic Armor ability is actually a modified Damage Resistance advantage and Mental Defense Only attack is unstoppable by DR -- but my players don't always know the mechanics.
And they don't have to!

Without Malediction, attacks will not have a psi/spell like manifestation they had with it, they will be more like a beam, or a gout of flame or whatever the root of the attack is, and will inflict crushing or burn or toxic or whatever the modified attack form did. Unlike Malediction, range and targeting style are not modified by Mental Defense Only.

It's special armor ignoring properties won't be apparent to them at all if they're not wearing normal armor, and their DR that protects them from PSI damage wouldn't have come into play with that attack form anyway. Based on the original manifestation (or whatever the new one is, as it's distinct from Malediction) your players should not expect Psychic Armor to have an impact in most cases.

And since it's your game, you can just not use it or say by GM Fiat Malediction proof works on it because you say so!
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote