View Single Post
Old 04-21-2020, 05:52 AM   #3
Varyon

Default Re: In which I build a Monocrys Tacsuit (Pyramid #3/85: Cutting-Edge Armor Design)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
Note: It's rather odd that the Ultra-Tech armour design system lists armour materials from TL6 to TL9. There also doesn't seem to be a way to calculate legality class, like there was for Blaster and Laser Design.
The article you're referring to was, I suspect, originally intended to be something like High Tech Armor Design, but Pulver added some TL 9 options to keep with the "Cutting Edge" theme of the particular Pyramid it appeared in. The Ultra Tech Armor Design article came later, as mentioned by Rupert, and did indeed have monocrys as an option.

Additionally, I'll note that the armor design system in general assumes a maximum of 0.2" thickness for rigid materials, 0.5" thickness for flexible ones. Going higher than this should be possible, but should probably result in DX penalties. Personally, I feel Chest and Skull should have a higher maximum thickness, but I'm not certain if this should be +1 SSR (0.3"/0.7") or +2 SSR (0.5"/1"). Optionally, the knees, elbows, and neck* should probably have a reduced maximum thickness, but again I'm not certain if this should be -1 SSR (0.15"/0.3") or -2 SSR (0.1"/0.2").

*The neck could probably cheat by having something like an armored collar a bit away from the neck, allowing for full rotation, but that should have increased weight for its protection.