View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 11:12 AM   #21
Skarg

Default Re: Healing and survival

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Actually, Nils does make a good point. If a party of 5 get 5 attacks / turn against them for 5 turns per combat during 5 combats, that means there's a 44% chance someone will get triple damage on them during an adventure. You can check my math:
[... snip - I'm not disputing the math ...]
EDIT: The reason it's a good point is that there's a good chance you'll have one triple damage roll against the PCs in an adventure and triple damage is way out of hand anyway IMHO. It looks like there's an 83% chance you'll get at least one double damage roll against the party -- the average number of double damage rolls in 125 rolls escapes my rusty probability skills.
The problem with Nils logic is not the math.

The problem is the premise that your group is going to suffer 125 attacks in an adventure, and that you want a party that gets attacked 125 times to not have people suffer deadly hits. If you suffer 125 2-die attacks (imagine 125 crossbowmen shooting at your party), your party should be annihilated. And it probably will be, even if they don't take and double-or-triple damage hits.

If your party manages to get attacked by 2-die weapons 5 times each in a combat, they're either having very dangerous adventures, or they are doing a terrible job, and yeah they're going to have casualties and deaths, whether you use double or triple damage results or not (unless they have layered armor with Stone Flesh or something like that, which BTW double & triple damage are a much-needed possible way around).

Again, it seems to me that a big part of play of TFT is arranging to get attacked as rarely as possible. That's why there's a map and situations - they offer ways to greatly reduce the number of times foes get the opportunity to attack you.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote