View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 01:48 AM   #24
zot

Default Re: Pre-Gen cards and Character sheet pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I'm going to resurrect this one briefly to note that things like the "rumors" being published as part of the Kickstarter would be perfect subjects for cards. That, and things like plot twists, or random events, to me, would be excellent choices for cards that could be drawn by the GM when s/he's short of inspiration or time, or simply needs something to fill in the blank spot.

Basically, anything non-material; motivations, reactions, mysteries (and clues to them), and, as already mentioned, rumors and plot twists and things like that would be an excellent use of cards. Much better, to my mind, than swords, or equipment, or treasures. The non-material things don't even have to be fleshed out with a lot of text; simple two or three word statements (like "Exploding Chickens") would suffice to give the GM something to run with in the way of a rumor or plot twist or whatever. In fact, you could list six such statements on a single card (numbered 1-6, of course) and roll a die to see which one comes up... Lots of variety possible that way, with the minimum number of cards. (One hundred cards gives you 600 ideas -- 1200 if you use both sides of the card! You could color code one side red for "bad" things and one side blue for "good" things, as just one example off the top of my head.)
A couple weeks ago, I did add an "Exploding birds" ceremony to the Theurgy Toolkit. Just sayin'...

I like this idea, a brainstorming deck -- these cards could have a bunch of those types of things on them all at once. Each card might have:
  • 3 dice at the top (if there are 216 cards in the deck) which you can use for 1-, 2-, or 3-dice rolls, or 2 dice if they come in 12-card booster packs.
  • Current weather conditions (redraw if not appropriate for season)
  • Either of these
    • 6 goodies
      • a motivation
      • a mystery
      • a plot twist
      • a potential ally
      • an adversary
      • an employment opportunity
      • a wrong doer
      • a foolish rich person
      • a hideout
      • a meeting place for a secret organization
    • Reaction results (intrigue to disgust, friendliness to contempt, camaraderie to disdain, fellowship to racial hatred, etc.)
      • six reactions of a particular type that you can use for a reaction roll (redraw they don't make sense)
zot is offline   Reply With Quote