View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #22
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Age and skill's points

Well, if you're hell-bent on it, I'd suggest a three-part solution involving an old rule, a modified advantage, and a new perk.

I. The old rule:
You can spend no more points on skills than twice your age in years, regardless of species maturation rates, TL, or anything else. This abstracts life experience, education, and everything else that takes time. Exactly like 3e.
II. The modified advantage:
Natural at (Skill)
2 points/level
You are simply good at one particular skill, exactly as if you had a Talent (p. B89) at it. You must specialize by skill – and if the skill itself requires specialization, you must further choose one specialty. For instance, you could be a natural at Guns (Pistol), but not at Guns in general. You may take up to three levels of this perk; each gives +1 to skill, exactly like a racial skill bonus (see Racial Skill Bonuses and Penalties, p. B452). Everybody can be a Natural at something, but nobody can be a Natural at more than one skill. Choose wisely!
III. The new perk:
Prodigy at (Skill)†

You are a remarkably fast learner at one particular skill. You must specialize by skill – and if the skill itself requires specialization, you must further choose one specialty. For instance, you could be a Prodigy at Musical Instrument (Piano), but not at Musical Instrument in general. Points in this skill don't count against your age-based limit on skill points. Nobody may be a Prodigy at more than three skills . . . but anybody may have up to three Prodigy perks, regardless of the usual limits on perks in the campaign.
Thus, talented young people could be Naturals, Prodigies, or both, but people would generally be limited by their age. For added fun, you could treat very intensive training specially, too; here is one proposal.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote