View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 07:15 AM   #29
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Judo Throwing an elephant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmet
About this "Judo is designed for humans against human opponents" thing - you are probably right people but GURPS Judo is not Judo per se, it is "generic defensive martial art" - so, yes, if you are horizontal with 4 feet your Judo would be "Allfourscreaturespecificdefensestyle-do"

There are many, many possibilities for size, orientation and shape with GURPS - you just can't cover each and every possibility yet I think the grappling/pinning rules do a good job with the number of limbs involved.

Weight/ST related solutions would be best here I think.

Cheerio!
If you can't move it, you can't do a takedown. If you can't displace it vertically at all, you probably can't do many throws. I think it's possible that many "throws" are actually the result of purposeful use of Breakfall to avoid crippling damage to the limb during joint manipulation. This turns it into a throw, but requires some level of cooperation (even "cooperation" of the "If I don't cooperate, my arm comes off at the wrist/elbow/shoulder" type).

Still, since most of the limits for shoving, knocking over, and carrying on your back are in the 8-16xBL frame (3-4xST will do for people-densities) something like every multiple of BL over 8 gets you a -1 to the roll. So you're at -10 at 18xBL, which for a ST10 person is 360lbs.

It would definitely be under "Harsh Realism" rules, since this means that for your typical ST10/150lbs average adventurer, he starts taking penalties for the throw at 160lbs.

I'm not sure this is wrong, though. Being outweighed by 40lbs is a big deal in most sporting events, and I know as a 160lb 5'8" person that grappling a novice who was nonetheless 250lbs and 6'4" was...challenging (esp since we were doing position grappling, and I couldn't use my full skill to submit him). My ST is probably 11, BL24. So against him, I'd be at -3, since I'm at 10.4xBL.

That has the right feel to it.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote