View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: Liber Servitorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen
Actually, it's more a matter of "Servants are rare in general". They represent, not just an employer-employee relationship, but a Symphonic bond that makes it difficult for the subservient party to resist the commands of their master.
For example, this passage from chapter five of Robert M. Schroeck and Chris Angel's fanfic Drunkard's Walk V: Another Divine Mess You've Gotten Me Into. Mind you, this Symphonic bond goes a bit further than the ones in IN canon...

Quote:
She was intently concentrating on the delicate work at hand when Skuld's voice suddenly rang in her ears, impossibly cutting right through the acoustic field, the howl of the lathe, and the professional-grade ear protectors she wore.

"Megumi! Get Belldandy! Now!"

As if Skuld's voice had hooked directly into her nervous system, Megumi found herself involuntarily spinning away from the lathe, the cutting tool in her hand sending up a shriek of protest as it sliced across the once-pristine perfection of the half-formed wave guide, leaving behind a coiling length of spall and a hideous gouge. On its own, one of her hands reached out and slapped the lathe's huge red emergency shut-off button as the other ripped off her the hearing protectors. The next thing she knew, Megumi found herself dashing around the motorcycle and out the door. Something had been going on -- out of the corner of her eye she had seen Chris laying on the floor shaking and writhing -- but she couldn't stop to look, because all that mattered to her was getting to the house and finding Belldandy.

Once in the sun she sprinted full speed across the yard and flung herself into the house. Belldandy was in the kitchen, Megumi knew it almost instinctively, and she skidded to a halt at the door. "Bell!" she gasped. "Workshop. Skuld needs you. Sent me," she added between heaving, panting breaths.

"Oh my!" Belldandy laid down the knife she'd had in hand, and immediately stepped to Megumi's side. Graceful, delicate fingers gently touched her face. "You have served your mistress well, Megumi," Belldandy whispered. "Rest now."

Exhaustion suddenly flooded her body as Belldandy swept past her, and Megumi collapsed, clinging desperately to the doorjamb in an effort to remain vertical. For the first time since Skuld's voice had... "grabbed her brain" was the only way she could describe it -- for the first time since then, she could actually think of something other than finding Belldandy.

Skuld gave me an order. The thought ran through her brain as she slowly brought her breathing under control. And it just... took me over. I had no choice, I was just... executing her command. Automatically. Until Belldandy released me. For the first time she truly realized what the goddesses and Chris had meant about losing some of her free will.

Suddenly it didn't seem as though she'd made that great a deal after all.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote