View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #9
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: ST 13 for Halberd?

Please realize that the problem isn't with ST but with "halberd." The monster axe on a 10' pole on p. B272 isn't much like what most real halberds are like. Swinging that thing takes ST 13 because it's ludicrous -- it's a 10' axe. Using it like spear takes ST 12. A more sensible halberd, like the one in MA, is what just about all sources mean when they refer to this weapon. It's ST 12, or ST 11 just to wield as a spear.

It's important to differentiate full wind-ups and swings from thrusts (which the rules do) if you're trying to emulate real life. In that case, you're looking at ST 11-12 men for realistic and not-so-realistic halberds used the way halberds often were: To stab and to hook, not to chop at the end of a swing through some 12'-20' of space.

That said, I still don't have issues with ST 12 for troops. ST 11-12 is where I'd expect any fit melee fighter to be, even by the descriptions on p. B14. Heavy infantrymen aren't "average" in the strength department; that just defies common sense. And ST 12 is good enough to use any halberd for thrusts and hooks, and to swing a sensible one . . . just not to swing 10' of axe through 20' of space and bash people. I agree that ST 13-14 is a tad high, but that's really only needed for cinematic use of over-the-top weapons anyway.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote